Monday, August 24, 2009

The Schroeder's Annual Shut ya' up Trip


For my non-hunter followers, let me explain exactly what the "Shut ya' up Trip" is. Almost twenty years ago, I married a hunter and gatherer. Not being from a hunting family, this was quite an adjustment for me. From getting use to Cactus being gone A LOT, to cooking the daily kill. I adjusted quicker to the cooking side than to the being gone side. Hunting season for us begins September 1st and ends the end of April, with spring turkey. March is a non-hunting month, which is why we were married and had our three children's birthdays within 12 days of each other (I'll save that story for another blog). About 8 years into our marriage, I guess Cactus got tired of my complaining (that's what he calls it, I call it discussing), and decided that I might not "discuss" as much, if he spent a little one on one time with me. So...the "Shut ya' up Trip" was born. Every August we take a 5 day/4 night trip to the destination of MY choice. Our most frequented locations have been Las Vegas, San Antonio and San Diego. This year, I picked San Diego. It was FABULOUS! The weather was cool and breezy, the food was amazing and the racetrack was AWFUL! The first day I did great; the second day I listened to my very intelligent husband and DID NOT WIN A RACE! Won't do that again! This is a wonderful time for us to reconnect with each other, not only before hunting season, but before school starts and the madness begins. I recommend every couple spend quality time together, whether it is a special trip, or date night in your hometown.

Cactus once asked me why I still "discuss" after he has taken me on a fabulous trip. I told him just try and not take me one year and see how bad the "discussing" gets!

Happy hunting!

Gabbin' Gal Erin

No comments: