Tuesday, March 9, 2010

When it rains...it POURS!

In my house...literally! Cactus & I built our house in 1993 when I was pregnant with our first daughter. It was very exciting. Pregnant...building a house...can you say "crazy"?! Will we survived! Then...eight years later, we decided to add on and do a little remodel while I was pregnant with our third daughter. I guess we thought if we did it once, we could do it again. Survival, again! Four years later, we decided to add a pool and outdoor kitchen...this time, I was NOT pregnant! This is the one that almost killed us!

So, after almost 17 years in this house, we are about to dive into the construction mode once again. This time, enlarging my kitchen. I have been waiting for this for about three years. About a year ago, we purchased the 2 acres behind our house, each with a house. Originally, we were going to fix up the houses and rent them. One was easy to fix up, the other one was NOT! So...we decided to sell the one house to someone that was willing to move it. Then, after the house was moved, Cactus was going to build his office on that lot and put in a tennis court for the girls. I know what you are thinking...isn't that a little too close for comfort? Yes! I love my husband, but I LIKE that he goes downtown to his office in the sky every morning. This will be an adjustment. We put the kitchen on hold until the office construction was going to start so that we could do it all at once.

Last Monday night, while doing the dishes, my sink became clogged. I got up the next morning, intending to call the plumber, only to discover that Cactus has tried to "fix" it. Let me just say, part of his charm is that he is neither technical nor mechanical. It was NOT good! I called the plumber and they said that they would be out after lunch, barring any emergency. Well, I suddenly became the emergency! I am sitting at the kitchen table working on the computer when I hear water dripping from somewhere around me. I look around and see it is pouring from the ceiling above me! This is coming from our master bath up on the second floor. I run up to see what the problem is. Cactus is mopping up water. I guess there is a place somewhere in the plumbing where the upstairs pipes meet up with the downstairs pipes. Since the downstairs was clogged, the water from the shower had nowhere to go but back up and then back down, via the ceiling! I called the plumber back and told them that I had suddenly became an emergency. Four hundred dollars later, no more rain in my house! The good thing about this is that I might get my new kitchen sooner. That was the second time we have had water overflow upstairs, which causes the sub-flooring to weaken and water stains on my ceiling. The bathroom floor will now have to be redone, so...we might as well do the kitchen, too...right? Right!

Keep your fingers crossed! Maybe I will have a bright, shiny, new kitchen by the time my birthday rolls around in September!

Keep Gabbin' Gigglin' Grinnin' and Moppin'
Gabbin' Gal Erin

3 comments:

Sissy#1 said...

Yeah! New kitchen; new bathroom; two of my favorite rooms of the house! Can't wait to see!!

Jane said...

My kitchen gets demolished tomorrow - going all the way down to studs for a brand new look. I'm literally scared to death, having never been through a project like this before! The thought of no sink and running water in that room terrifies me! Do I just use the bathroom sink for clean-up after eating take-out time for 4-6 more weeks?!?! And just how much take-out can one tolerate?!?! My rear-end and thighs are luvin' this whole remodel thing!

Gabbin' Gal Erin said...

Hey Jane! Keep us posted! Luckily we have an outdoor kitchen that will come in handy.