Friday, May 1, 2009

ALERT: Do NOT Travel with me!

For those of you who know me, the Schroeder's are what you would call travelling impaired. Allow me to explain.

Here I sit on a bus travelling from Abilene to Dallas/Ft. Worth International airport to catch a flight to St. Louis. Why? Because the flight that I was originally booked, on at 9:35 this morning, was delayed until 11:00 a.m., for mechanical difficulties. Then, the 11:00 flight was delayed until 3:00 for mechanical difficulties. HMMM! I see a pattern that I do not like. Why am I travelling to St. Louis? I am taking my 14 year old daughter to play tennis. How exciting, you say!? So far it has been and she hasn’t even picked up a racquet, yet. If this is her warm-up, I don’t think I want to see the main attraction. We were supposed to be in St. Louis by 1:00 p.m.; now, I think that we arrive about 8:30 p.m.

We are travelling with a group of 4 kids (3 girls, 1 boy – lucky boy!), 3 parents and 1 coach. All, by the way do get hungry. Our fearless leader suggested we all go to the restaurant at the airport and get something to eat before loading the bus. Guess what? They closed the restaurant down LAST WEEK!!!! I guess its chips and soda from the Buffalo Gap Traders Post located in the airport, which by the way is run by our good friend Tonya Vinson. But wait…I call my wonderful husband to ask him if he could bring me my “happy pills”, which I thought I could do without, until this happened. He then offered to bring hamburgers to us to eat on the bus. Did you know that there are not bus attendants for drink service? Boy do I need one now! Kick-in, happy pill! Kick-in!

So, thank you to the wonderfully patient agents at the Abilene Regional Airport, to these wonderful children who look at this as an adventure and whom I hear laughing at the back of the bus, and to my loving husband who went out of his way to make sure that his wife (and the other 7 travelers) was both happy and not hungry. This adventure is not over, but I don’t know what is in store…so, keep checking back. It could get interesting!

Signed,
Rolling Down I-20 in a Greyhound bus

1 comment:

Gabbin' Gal Nan said...

Remind me to take separate planes, cars, trains, etc when traveling with you! Just kidding! Glad you made it there. Looking forward to the blog about your trip home!
Gabbin' Gal Nan