Monday, May 18, 2009

Senior Moments!


No...not senior as in citizen. Senior as in graduating from high school senior. About a week ago, Cactus and I, along with four other couples, hosted a swim party for one of my favorite Wylie High School Seniors. I have known Brooks since before he was born. Actually, his mom and dad and I became friends when his dad and I were put together as mixed doubles partners for a tennis tournament. His mother was 14 months pregnant (I swear, just ask her), so that's why I was paired with his dad. What a blessing for me! Chuck and Karla became such wonderful and loving friends to us. Friends that you do not have to talk to every day; but when you do talk, it's like you pick up right where you left off. When Brooks was born, I did not have the first clue what to do with a baby, much less a boy baby. Well, I quickly learned. He was PRECIOUS! I stopped by their house as often as I could to get my "fix." Three years later, Hunter arrived. Be still my heart. TWO boys? WOW! I often said that if I had boys I wanted them just like Brooks and Hunter. Well, God gave me three girls. By the way, I have mentioned to them to stay away from my girls!

Unfortunately, last February, the boys lost their father after a long and courageous battle with cancer. He was only 56 years old. I can not imagine what the boys and Karla go through on a daily basis. So, when another friend asked if I wanted to help throw a graduation party for Brooks, of course I said "YES!" I wanted to do everything that I could to help him through this very difficult and bittersweet time in his life. And, of course, you know me...always up for planning a good party!

Brooks wanted a pool party with a 2 to 1 girl/guy ratio! His father would be so proud! After a little bit of planning, the hosts' came up with a fish fry with swimming, music and VIRGIN pina colada's and daiquiri's; oh and yes, the 2 to 1 girl/guy ratio! Brooks did not ask for much. In fact, he did not ask for anything. I decided that a good party favor would be personalized stadium cups. You would have thought that he was handed the golden ticket at Willa Wonka's Chocolate Factory. I overheard him saying, "They even had special cups made with my name on them!" It's the little things that make them happy. He deserves so much more, but is such a gracious man that he saw the love that we all had for him.

So, I guess my point of this blog is that it does not take a lot to make our children happy. We think it does; but in reality all they really want is attention, patience, fish, pina colada's and personalized cups! Take the time to ask your kids about their lives. Find out what they want from you. You might be surprised that all they want is a 12 ounce, white, plastic stadium cup with their name on it.

I pray for the three of them (and the rest of their family) every day. They have an angel looking down on them. An angel I feel they share with me. Brooks says he is blessed...I am blessed for having them in my life for the past 19 years!

Here's to the first day of the rest of your life!


Gabbin' Gal Erin

No comments: