Monday, June 1, 2009

72 Years & Counting!

Today is a very special day in my life, and I wanted to share it with you just in case you needed a "pick me up" today!

It is my father's 72nd birthday. I know you are thinking...big deal, it's Nan's Dad's b-day. Well let me tell you why it's a big deal in my little piece of the universe. He was diagnosed with ALS (Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis) ~ known as Lou Gehrigs Disease to you and me ~ back around 1976 at 39 years of age. This disease attacks your nervous and muscular system and you basically become a prisoner within your own body. It does not affect your mind at all. Once diagnosed one usually lives 3 to 5 years. Mmmmmm, let's do the math. That was well over 30 years ago. Apparently, he does not have the full blown disease, but the medical community never gave him an exact name to what he had and still has. I choose to believe he is a miracle from God to teach me and others about grace, mercy, forgiveness and so much more.

His health has been in a slow and steady decline over the years, but his mental attitude has NEVER EVER wavered. AMAZING! As the old saying goes, ATTITUDE is EVERYTHING! Seeing what he has gone through, I'm not quite sure I would have the sweet, gentle, spirit that he has demonstrated over the years...another quality I think God gave him for the rest of us to see.

Life throws us all sorts of challenges. Some far worse than others. In fact, I've even been going through my own kind of challenge lately, but I always look to my hero and daily inspiration with his never give up attitude and think if he can do what he does on a daily basis with such a debilitating disease and NEVER COMPLAIN, then I certainly know I can do it!

If you are having a bad day, just know someone else out there is having a far worse one and perhaps a lifelong one. Go ahead and wallow a bit, but then pick yourself up and slowly start putting one foot in front of the other!

Happy Birthday Dad!
God so knew what he was doing when he picked you to be my earthly Father!


Gabbin' Gal Nan

No comments: