Monday, December 28, 2009

It's NOT about the gifts...it's about the MEMORIES!



Can you believe that another Christmas has come and gone?! And what a beautiful white Christmas it was! I can't remember the last time that Texas has had a white Christmas.

Christmas morning was a complete blur in my house. Everyone knows the drill...you spend HOURS wrapping presents, only to have them ripped open in 7.3 seconds. I use to be up into the wee hours of Christmas morning wrapping gifts. A few years ago, I told myself to start wrapping the gifts as I buy them, so I would not be up late. This has worked out great! However, the destruction time is still the same, if not quicker.

This year, for the first time in a very long time, Cactus & I both had our siblings in for the holidays (minus his oldest sister). His youngest sister and her husband came in from D.C/New York; my sister, her husband and their two kids came in from the Metroplex. My brother and his family live here, so this made for a great time for all of us to spend time together.

Travel was crazy for them, however. My sister-in-law was lucky to arrive. Anyone that lives in Abilene, knows that if it rains here, the airport shuts down. So...when the snow arrived, we just knew that Ann and Jim probably would not make it into Abilene. Surprise, surprise...they made it! They were five hours late...but they made it! Every flight into Abilene was cancelled, EXCEPT the one that they were coming in on. Luckily, my sister and her family were not scheduled to arrive until Saturday morning. However, her husband's family had scheduled to get together Christmas day. Unfortunately, his mother was snowed in in Wichita Falls, and could not make it to their house. I am telling you, not only does our town shut down in snowy weather, but the whole state. People were stuck on I-20 for up to 9 hours; even sleeping in their cars. I think I would have chewed my arm off!

Everyone made it safely. Christmas day we spent with Cactus' sister and husband; enjoying the looks on our children's faces as they opened their gifts (that which we could see through the tornado of wrapping paper!). Saturday was the day for my family to get together. We chose to meet for lunch. This was the first time in over 8 years that we have all three gotten together. We had a great time! This just proved that the spirit of the season is alive and well. It was not about the gifts, but the time spent together talking about "old times"; like how my sister and brother use to gang up on me! The "baby" of the family!

The past few days were fast and furious, but also very rewarding. I witnessed my children getting along (and isn't that the best gift of all?); new marriages flourishing; siblings reconnecting and extended family members getting to know each other better. I am totally drained, but totally blessed! I hope everyone had a blessed Christmas and wish you a happy new year!

Keep on Gabbin', Gigglin' and Grinnin'!

Gabbin' Gal Erin


No comments: