Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Traditions

This is the time of the year when traditions start and continue. Everybody has traditions. Some people stay in bed on Saturday mornings while watching cartoons with their children. Others cook the same meal full of family favorites for Christmas each year. Still other families have a weekly family game night (THIS I would recommend!). One of the many traditions that my husband Cactus and I have is our annual trip to the National Finals Rodeo and the Cowboy Christmas in Las Vegas. This year, is the third year for this tradition. We go on this trip with two other couples; one from Atlanta and one from Ojai, California. However, you would be surprised how many other people that we know attend this event. Our agenda includes one night at the rodeo, eating, a day EACH at the three HUGE convention centers full of shopping, eating, a day at the outlet mall in Primm, eating, a show or two, eating, oh...and we do gamble! Did I mention that we eat?! This year was the first year that we attended the opening night of the rodeo. It was AMAZING! Elvis was there performing...at least I think it was Elvis. Too hard to tell from up in the nosebleed section. Now I know why we wait until the second week to go.

The next night we decided to lay low and go to dinner at one of my favorite Italian food restaurants, Ferraro's. One of the things that I like best about this restaurant, is the fact that it is a local favorite OFF the strip. Which translates into great food. Cactus says that the Osso Bucco is ALMOST as good as mine. The atmosphere reminds me of an old Dean Martin movie, right down to a Mafia feel and the "family" table. There is also a piano bar that serves the most delicious martini's. You can even dance or sing along with the band.

Night three was a blast to the past for me. We went to see Donny & Marie! I was sooo hoping to get to meet them, especially Donny. I need to get some pointers from him on how to win Dancing with the Abilene Stars. Hey, if you want to win, you must learn from the best! What a great performance! Marie looked great...Donny looked HOT...they both danced amazing and were so funny! I honestly was surprised at how much energy they both had. They performed for about an hour and a half, and then had a SECOND show! I wish I could have so much energy.

Last, but certainly not least...we went to see Brooks & Dunn. Talk about energy! WOW! We thought we were attending the beginning of their farewell tour, but actually, it was the last night of their current tour! That was almost as special. It was their last night to EVER perform at the Las Vegas Hilton. You know, Ronnie Dunn attended both Abilene Christian and Hardin-Simmons, right here in Abilene, Texas, USA. He was asked to leave ACU or stop performing in the honky tonks. Good thing he gave up his education! Kix Brooks is the energy and Ronnie is the straight man. Both have wonderful voices. It was truly an unforgettable experience!

I am now home, but just barely. Of course, if you have read my previous blogs, you know that if it is going to happen while travelling, it will happen to the Schroeder's. I truly believe that Cactus is the problem. Here's why...Cactus had to go to New Guinea before this trip, so he met me in Las Vegas. I arrived without a delay, turbulence, screaming kid, hot plane, or any other travelling disaster. We travelled back to Abilene, together. Guess what?! Our flight from LV to DFW was delayed about 30 minutes and then our flight from DFW to Abilene was cancelled. Luckily, there was ONE LAST flight into Abilene. We got on it and were getting ready to board, when the gate agent advised us to say a prayer we get to leave. UGH! I prayed and my prayer was answered, thank goodness! So...home sweet home!

I can't wait to see what this tradition brings us next year! I am just glad we have good friends and good traditions, which make great memories that last a lifetime! Take the time to think about your own traditions or maybe it is time to start a new one!

Making memories!
Gabbin' Gal Erin

No comments: